St Andrew, Ewerby, Lincolnshire
- Site Location
- National Grid Reference
- TF 122 473
now (or name of monument): St Andrew
- Type of building/monument
- Parish church
II General Description
Church consists of nave with N and S aisles, which incorporate the W tower with its broach spire, and the chancel; the whole is of a single period, c. 1350, something of a rarity in Lincolnshire. The vestry was added in 1895 during restoration work by C. H. Fowler. The font here is of the 14thc., buts it base is a fragment of an earlier Romanesque font.
The base of the 14thc. font here is a fragment from an earlier 12thc. font. It is located in the center of the W tower bay. Base has beaded, intersecting arches, which were once part of a intersecting arcade motif. In the spandrels of the arches there is a large single bead while at the points of intersection between the arches there is a single raised cross motif on the N and W sides, a single large bead on the S and E sides. Much damage on the NW side where ornamentation is missing. Rectangular repair inserted on the SW side. What is visible of the top suggests that it was without ornament.
|max. h. of base||0.27 m|
|circumference of base||2.93 m|
Domesday Book records a church and a priest here in 1086; this was in possession of Gilbert of Ghent.
This is an example of the seldom recorded medieval practice of font burial. The burial of an older font beneath or near the new font that replaced it may have symbolized the tradition and continuity of baptismal rites belonging to the church. In addition to this example at Ewerby, there are four other instances of font burials in the county at Bassingham, Cabourne, Covenham St Mary, and Folkingham. In addition, a further seven sites in Lincolnshire have parts of older fonts reused in some connection with a newer font (see Stocker, 'Fons et origo').
- Domesday Book: Lincolnshire. 24, 38.
- N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire. London 1990, 274.
- D.A. Stocker, 'Fons et origo: The symbolic death, burial, resurrection of English font stones,' Church Archaeology. Vol. 1, 1977, 17-25.