Browse Sites

Filter by site name: A B C C D E E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

St John the Baptist, Adel, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

The church has a rectangular nave and chancel, with a bellcote of 1839 above the W gable. There are square, traceried windows on the S ...

St Cecilia, Adstock, Buckinghamshire

Parish church

Adstock is a village towards the N of central Buckinghamshire, 4 miles SE of Buckingham to the N of the main road to Aylesbury.  The ...

St Mary, Adwell, Oxfordshire

Parish church

The small stone church at Adwell, near Lewknor in SE Oxfordshire, comprises nave, chancel, transeptal chapels and a slender bell-cote at the W end. The ...

St Laurence, Adwick-le-Street, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

The church consists of nave, S porch, N aisle, N chapel, chancel and W tower, built of rubble limestone with some ashlar. The church and ...

St John the Baptist, Adwick-upon-Dearne (also called Adwick-on-Dearne), Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

Adwick-upon-Dearne is a village in the Doncaster borough of South Yorkshire, near Mexborough. The church of St John the Baptist is a small building standing ...

St Molaga, Aghacross

Church (ruin)

Ruined church of rough, uncoursed stone, consisting of a rectangular nave, of which the W end retains Romanesque work.  The E end is 15thc. as ...

Aghadoe

Ruined church, formerly cathedral

The church is ruined and roofless and consists of a nave and chancel separated by a solid wall. The nave measures c.9.9 m x 7.16 ...

Aghagower

Ruined church and round tower

The church is mainly 12thc./13thc. with some later medieval additions and incorporates a plain 12thc. S doorway. This has a chamfered label on the exterior ...

Aghalurcher

Ruined abbey church

A 7thc. foundation, although much of the remaining fabric of the church dates to the 15thc. A number of Romanesque fragments are kept in a ...

Aghanagh

Ruined church

A single cell church, very overgrown. The E wall is missing. There is a round-headed doorway in the N wall. A 13thc. window in the ...

St Brendan of Birr, Aghaviller

Ruined church

Early monastic site with ruined round tower and nave and chancel church. A medieval residential tower was built over the earlier church probably in the ...

Aghowle

Ruined church

A long rectangular church, 18.06 m x 7.39 m, built of rough blocks of granite with squared quoins. The gabled W and E walls remain ...

Aglish

Church (ruin)

Only the E gable (6m wide internally) and returns of the N and S wall remain standing.

St Bartholomew, Albourne, Sussex

Parish church

This church, which was virtually rebuilt by George Gilbert Scott in 1859, comprises a nave, a N aisle with a three-bay arcade, and a small, ...

St John the Baptist, Albrighton (near Shrewsbury), Shropshire

Parish church, formerly chapel

Albrighton is a small village consisting of a few dwellings with the church and hall, 4 miles N of Shrewsbury on the Ellesmere road. It ...

St Mary Magdalene, Albrighton (near Wolverhampton), Shropshire

Parish church

Albrighton is a large village in the far N of the county, 7 miles NW of the centre of Wolverhampton, for which city it serves ...

St Helen, Albury, Oxfordshire

Parish church

Demolished and rebuilt in 1828. A painting and an engraving made shortly before that date (Bodl. MS Top. Oxon. a.65, No.34; Bodl. G.A. Oxon.a.76 f.3) ...

St Michael, Aldbourne, Wiltshire

Parish church

The nave of the church was rebuilt in the first half of the 13thc., reusing one scallop capital in the north arcade, and voussoirs in ...

St Bartholomew, Aldbrough, Yorkshire, East Riding

Parish church

The church has a W tower, an aisled nave and a chancel with N chapel. It is a large, heavy building, largely of boulders and ashlar, standing ...

Alderbury, Wiltshire

Water fountain

A rectangular fountain erected to commemorate the coronation of King Edward on 9 August 1902 has a reused double capital from nearby Ivychurch Priory at ...