Browse Sites

Filter by site name: A B C C D E E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Showing sites beginning with: A (show all).

St Michael, Abberley, Worcestershire

Chapel

All that remains of the 12thc. church is the chancel, and a few courses of the N wall of the roofless W tower. In the ...

St Eadburga, Abberton, Worcestershire

Parish church

Rebuilt on the site of the old church in 1881-2. Some 14thc. stone was reused in the Victorian building, but the only 12thc. work is ...

St Edmund, Abbess Roding, Essex

Parish church

Abbess Roding is one of a group of eight villages called Roding in the SW of the county, 8 miles E of Harlow and 9 ...

Abbeyknockmoy

Ruined abbey church and abbey buildings, formerly Cistercian abbey

The early 13thc. cruciform church comprises chancel; nave, with N and S aisles; and N and S transepts, each with two chapels. The chapter house ...

St Helen, Abbotsham, Devon

Parish church

The church is 13thc. cruciform, comprising nave, chancel, S transept and N transeptal tower of c. 1300. The church was restored in 1848 and 1870-72. ...

St Laurence, Abbots Langley, Hertfordshire

Parish church

The church consists of chancel with S chapel, nave with N and S aisles, S porch and clerestorey, and W tower. The earliest surviving features ...

St Ricarius, Aberford, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

The old church, described by Sir Stephen Glynne as 'only a nave and chancel with western tower and spire...', with the exception of the tower ...

St Nicholas, Abingdon, Berkshire

Parish church

The church of St Nicholas stands in the Market Place, alongside the west gateway of the abbey precinct.  The W front and N wall date ...

Abingdon Abbey, Berkshire

Former Benedictine Abbey

Nothing of the abbey church remains in situ, and the surviving abbey buildings all postdate the 12thc. In the Abbey Gardens, where the church once ...

St Peter and St Paul, Abington, Northamptonshire

Parish church

The church has a 13thc. chancel as shown by a small lancet in the N wall, now opening into the N chapel. There is a ...

St Michael, Abington Pigotts, Cambridgeshire

Parish church

Aisleless nave and chancel with W tower, all of flint with ashlar facings. The chancel has a N vestry and the S nave doorway has ...

Church Hill, Achonry

Ruined church

Only the W end of the church and a short section of the adjacent N and S walls still stand. A rectangular splayed window, probably ...

St Cuthbert, Ackworth, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

Ackworth is a village situated about 2 miles S of Ponteftact in the Wakefield district of West Yorkshire. The church of St Cuthbert stands at ...

St Mary, Acton , Cheshire

Parish church

St Mary's is built of red sandstone ashlar. It has a four-bay aisled nave with a clerestorey; the aisles extending W alongside the tower, and ...

St Giles, Acton Beauchamp, Herefordshire

Parish church

The church consists of W tower, nave and chancel, the latter two rebuilt in 1819 in Georgian style, but the original doorway was saved and ...

Adamstown

Fragment

Later parish church set within an oval graveyard on the site of an earlier church, of which a single fragment has been recorded.

Adare

Parish church

The former Augustinian friary is now a Church of Ireland parish church. The font is the only possibly Romanesque feature.

Addergoole (Carrowntowmush)

Graveyard

Cross head leaning against the W wall of the old graveyard.

St Peter, Adderley, Shropshire

Parish church

Cruciform church mainly of 1801, with a 17thc. N transept and 18thc. tower. The only Romanesque feature is the late 11thc. to early 12thc. font ...

St Mary, Addington, Buckinghamshire

Parish church

Addington is a village towards the N of central Buckinghamshire, 4½ miles SE of Buckingham to the S of the main road to Aylesbury.  The ...