Browse Sites

Filter by site name: A B C C D E E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R R S T U V W Y

Showing sites beginning with: B (show all).

St Andrew, Backwell, Somerset

Parish church

Now known as Churchtown, the tiny original village of Backwell (‘stream coming from the ridge’) nestles in a shallow combe in the northern scarp of ...

St Nicholas, Baddesley Ensor, Warwickshire

Parish church

This church, of 1848, by Henry Chetton, replaces an earlier one, which contained 12thc. sculpture. None of the latter is preserved in the new church, ...

St Congar, Badgworth, Somerset

Parish church

Badgworth is in the centre of the county, 9 km inland from Burnham-on-Sea and 10 km S of Weston-super-Mare. The village consists of scattered houses ...

St John the Baptist, Badingham, Suffolk

Parish church

Badingham is a village in E Suffolk, 3 miles N of Framlingham and 6 miles NW of Saxmundham. A stream runs from N to S ...

St James, Badsey, Worcestershire

Parish church

The church has a 12thc. nave with a N transept ofc.1330 and a modern S aisle, a 13thc. chancel, a 15thc. ashlar faced W tower ...

St Mary the Virgin, Badsworth, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

The village of Badsworth is in West Yorkshire, 6 miles SE of Pontefract. Overtly Dec. and Perp., the church has two reset fragments which are ...

Bailiffscourt Hotel, Sussex

Hotel, formerly private house

The bailiff of the abbey of Séez in Normandy once lived at Bailiffscourt, explaining the presence of a small 13thc. chapel on the site. The ...

St Andrew, Bainton, Yorkshire, East Riding

Parish church

Bainton church, seen first with its tower, from the street, gives the impression of a Cotswold church, golden and Gothic. The interior is spacious, the ...

All Saints, Bakewell, Derbyshire

Parish church

All Saints is situated on a hill overlooking Bakewell, a market town built on the banks of the river Wye in Derbyshire's Peak District. Evidence ...

St Giles, Balderton, Nottinghamshire

Parish church

The church consists of chancel, nave, N and S aisles, N and S porches and W tower with spire. The simple 12thc. church was enlarged ...

Balla

Round tower

An incomplete round tower (h. 10.00 m) with a tall, narrow doorway near the top with inclined jambs and a flat lintel. The lower two ...

St Patrick, Ballintober

Abbey church

A large cruciform, aisleless early 13thc. church standing next to the abbey ruins (W wall of nave to E wall of chancel 40.23m, w. across ...

Ballybacon church, Ballybacon

Parish church

The 12thc. font, formerly in the ruined 13thc. church at Ballybacon, was removed in 1975 to this new Roman Catholic parish church.

Ballyconnell (Tomregan)

Church of Ireland graveyard

Church of Ireland graveyard, with a 12thc. carved stone in the grounds.

Ballyhale

Parish church

Parish church incorporating the W tower of a medieval church. A font, possibly Romanesque, is set in the W face of the tower.

Ballyhay (Ballyhea)

Ruined church

A long, narrow two cell church, which at some point has been reduced in length by the insertion of a cross wall. (nave 18.83 m ...

St Feichin, Ballysadare

Ruined church

The ruined church known as St Feichin's church (Tempull Mór Feichin) is a single-cell structure incorporating some Romanesque features. It has an E window (obscured ...

Ballyvourney

Ruined church

Ruined church of late medieval date, with reused Romanesque head set in E gable of nave, over the chancel arch. There is also a late ...

Ballywillan Old Church

Church (ruin)

A single cell church (25.9 m x 7.26 m) constructed from roughly coursed basalt with limestone detailing.  The church has doors in N and S ...

St Mary Magdalene, Balscote, Oxfordshire

Parish church

Balscote, formerly Balscott, is a hamlet in NE Oxfordshire, 4.5 miles NW of Banbury. The small ironstone church of St Mary Magdalene is now a ...