Browse Sites

Filter by site name: A B C C D E E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R R S T U V W Y

Showing sites beginning with: G (show all).

St Mary, Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire

Parish church

Wide, 13thc. aisled nave of five bays with Perpendicular clerestorey, N and S transepts, N and S porches, the former two-storied, aisleless chancel with N ...

St Michael and All Angels, Garton-on-the-Wolds, Yorkshire, East Riding

Parish church

This imposing twelfth-century church stands at the top of a rise just south of the village, a windy spot. It consists of a massive W ...

Garvald and Bara Parish Church, Garvald

Parish church

The church is rectangular on plan. It was enlarged in 1677 and again in 1829, but much of the lower masonry courses may be of ...

St Michael, Garway, Herefordshire

Parish church

Garway is a small village in the SW of the county, 9 miles W of Ross-on-Wye and less than a mile from the River Monnow ...

St Mary, Gayton, Northamptonshire

Parish church

Gayton is a substantial village towards the S of the county, 4 miles SW of Northampton. Gayton stands on a hill with the church and ...

St Peter, Gayton, Staffordshire

Parish church

Gayton is a scattered village in central Staffordshire, some 5 miles NE of the centre of Stafford. It stands on a rise above the Trent, ...

St Mary, Gedding, Suffolk

Parish church

Gedding is midway between Bury and Stowmarket, well S of the A14, in farmland that is mostly arable with some woodland and pasture. The church ...

St Mary Magdalene, Geddington, Northamptonshire

Parish church

Geddington is famous above all for the Eleanor Cross in the centre of the village. St Mary Magdalene lies just to the NE. Its nave ...

Gerrans, Cornwall

Church

The church is prominently sited on the main street, in the centre of the hilltop village of Gerrans.  The village adjoins the former fishing village ...

St Mary, Gisburn, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

The village of Gisburn lies between Skipton and Clitheroe on the A59. The church has the long low profile, typical of many in this north-western part ...

Holy Trinity, Gisleham, Suffolk

Parish church

Gisleham stands on the edge of the arable land of the NE Suffolk coastal plain, less than a mile S of the edge of Lowestoft. ...

St Leonard, Glapthorn, Northamptonshire

Chapel of ease

St Leonard's has a four-bay clerestoreyed nave, the arcades divided into two two-bay sections by a short stretch of wall. In the N arcade all ...

St Paul, Glasshoughton, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

The church at Glasshoughton is a modern 1902 building in red brick. A medieval font from Castleford can be found in the plain interior, set in the ...

St Nicholas, Glatton, Huntingdonshire

Parish church

St Nicholas' has an aisled nave, the aisles embracing the W tower, a N transept and a chancel with N vestry and W tower with ...

St Bartholomew, Glazeley, Shropshire

Parish church

Glazeley is a village in the SE of the county, 3 miles S of Bridgnorth. The vilage is no more than a cluster of houses ...

Glendalough, Cathedral

Cathedral (ruin)

The ruined cathedral consists of an aisleless nave and chancel, to which a sacristy was added on the S. The nave was originally a single ...

Glendalough, Priest's House

Oratory

The tiny roofless oratory, known as the Priests' House, lies to the SW of the cathedral. Its internal dimensions are 4.40 m by 2.33 m. ...

Glendalough, St Mary

Church (ruin)

A two-cell church. The nave is pre-Romanesque, its walls employing some very massive and well-dressed blocks of granite; the W door has inclined jambs with ...

Glendalough, St Saviour

Priory church

The priory is situated about three quarters of a mile to the E of the main monastic buildings at Glendalough, on the S bank of ...

Glendalough, Visitor Centre, loose sculpture

Visitor Centre

A large collection of carved and moulded stones has been gathered from the various buildings and monastic sites at Glendalough. Most of these were stored ...