Browse Sites

Filter by site name: A B C C D E E F G H H I J K L M N O P Q R R S T U V W Y

Showing sites beginning with: G (show all).

Glendalough, Visitor Centre, loose sculpture

Visitor Centre

A large collection of carved and moulded stones has been gathered from the various buildings and monastic sites at Glendalough. Most of these were stored ...

Glendalough, Visitor Centre, Market Cross

Cross

A granite cross, 1.68m high, with four original pieces and some modern infills. It is ringless in form, with hollows at the arms. It once ...

St Mary, Glympton, Oxfordshire

Parish church

The small village of Glympton lies in the valley of the river Glyme, 10 miles NW of Oxford. The church is hidden within the Glympton ...

St Lawrence, Gnosall, Staffordshire

Parish church, formerly collegiate church

St Lawrence's is a cruciform church begunc.1100 with substantial later additions. Three-bay aisles were added to the nave in the 13thc.; the arcades have pointed, ...

St Mary, Goldsborough, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

Goldsborough is a village situated about one mile east of Knaresborough. The church of St Mary the Virgin adjoins the gatehouse or former stables of ...

All Saints, Goodmanham, Yorkshire, East Riding

Parish church

The village lies on a spur between two valleys in the Wolds escarpment above Market Weighton. The church is a stout building in an open ...

Goodrich Castle, Herefordshire

Castle

Goodrich lies within the ancient district of Archenfield, a border area betweenWalesandEnglandin the 11thc (see Preface to Herefordshire). GoodrichCastlestands on a sandstone scarp overlooking the river ...

St Mary, Goring-By-Sea, Sussex

Parish church

Goring church, rebuilt in 1837, has a W tower, nave with N and S aisles and a chancel. The 12th-century nave arcades were retained in ...

St Mary, Gosbeck, Suffolk

Parish church

Gosbeck is a dispersed parish lying some 7 miles N of the centre of Ipswich. The landscape is typical of the East Anglian plain; more ...

St Giles, Goxhill, Yorkshire, East Riding

Parish church

Goxhill was once a village but is now reduced to a farmhouse and buildings. The medieval church was largely rebuilt in 1786, the tower in ...

St Giles, Graffham, Sussex

Parish church

This church was virtually rebuilt by GE Street or his firm in 1874-87. It now comprises a three-bay aisled nave and a square-ended chancel with ...

St Mary, Grafton Regis, Northamptonshire

Parish church

Grafton Regis is in the SE of the county, less than half a mile from the river Tove (Great Ouse) that forms the border with ...

St James, Grafton Underwood, Northamptonshire

Parish church

St James's has a nave with three-bay N and S aisles, the N arcade late 12thc., the S c.1200. The chancel and its arch are ...

St Andrew, Grantchester, Cambridgeshire

Parish church

Perpendicular nave with a S aisle of 1877 and N doorway under a porch, and a splendid 14thc. chancel with a N vestry. The W ...

St Wilfrid, Grappenhall, Cheshire

Parish church

St Wilfrid's has a long nave and chancel, continuous inside and out with no chancel arch but the division marked by a step. N and ...

St Mary, Graveley, Hertfordshire

Parish church

Graveley is a village in the North Hertfordshire district of the county, 2 miles N of Stevenage and 4 miles S of Letchworth Garden City. ...

All Saints, Great Addington, Northamptonshire

Parish church

All Saints' has an aisled and clerestoreyed nave with 13thc. three-bay arcades, an early-14thc. chancel with a contemporary N chapel, now housing the organ, and ...

St Mary, Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire

Parish church

Great Bedwyn is a village on the River Dun about 13 miles W of Newbury. The church lies to the S of the village on the ...

St Mary, Great Bentley, Essex

Parish church

Great Bentley is a village in the Tendring district of NE Essex, 7 miles E of Colchester and 5 miles NW of Clacton-on-Sea. The village ...

St Andrew, Great Billing, Northamptonshire

Parish church

St Andrew's has a clerestoreyed nave with four-bay N and S aisles. Of these, only pier 2 of the N arcade is 12thc., so the ...