Browse Sites

Filter by site name: A B C C D E E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Showing sites beginning with: L (show all).

St Molaga, Labba Molaga

Ruined church

The walls of two churches remain within a subrectagular enclosure, possibly of early or medieval date (Harbison, Guide, p.59).  The smaller church has deep antae ...

St Mary, Lakenheath, Suffolk

Parish church

Lakenheath is a large village in the NW of Suffolk, between Ely and Thetford and only 10 miles from either. To the W is the ...

St Michael, Lambourn, Berkshire

Parish church

Lambourn is a large village (with a population of around 3,000) in west Berkshire, two miles from the Wiltshire border. The river Lambourn rises here, ...

All Hallows, Lamport, Northamptonshire

Parish church

From the outside, All Hallows appears entirely 18thc. but for the W tower, the lower parts of which are 12thc.; the upper 13thc. with a ...

St James the Less, Lancing, Sussex

Parish church

The church, comprising a chancel, aisled central tower, aisled nave and S porch, was rebuilt at the end of the 13thc., but incorporates some reset ...

St Andrew, Landford, Wiltshire

Parish church

This small church now consists of a chancel with a vestry, a nave and a S and N transept. The W end of the church ...

St Michael, Landrake, Cornwall

Parish church

There are some remains of the Norman cruciform church, which was enlarged in the 15thc. These include the lower part of the S wall of ...

SS Sidwell and Gulval, Laneast, Cornwall

Parish church

The northern half of the cruciform Norman church remains, although much rebuilt; the E window of the N transept retains its original jambs and sill, ...

St Peter, Laneham, Nottinghamshire

Parish church

The church consists of a chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch and W tower. Portions of the fabric of the Norman church remain with herringbone ...

St Mary, Langley Marish, Slough, Buckinghamshire

Parish church, formerly chapelry

Langley Marish, or Langley, is a large village to the immediate E of Slough and contiguous with it. It was part of Buckinghamshire until 1974, ...

St Peter, Langtoft, Yorkshire, East Riding

Parish church

Langtoft has a medieval Gothic church restored and enlarged between 1900 and 1903, the last of the ‘Sykes’ churches (Pevsner & Neave 1995, 94-5, 592). It ...

St Ildiema, Lansallos, Cornwall

Parish church

Sedding noticed some wrought stonework from the Norman arcade in the N and S walls of the present 15thc. church; otherwise nothing Romanesque survives except ...

All Saints, Lapley, Staffordshire

Parish church, formerly Benedictine priory church

Lapley lies 7 miles S of Stafford, just off the Roman road from Chester and Whitchurch that joins Watling Street near Water Eaton. There are ...

St Ethelbert, Larling, Norfolk

Parish church

St Ethelbert’s comprises a square W tower, chancel, nave and S aisle. The N nave wall of the Norman church survives, although restored. The chancel ...

All Saints, Lathbury, Buckinghamshire

Parish church

Lathbury is a small village inNorth Buckinghamshire(ancient hundred of Bunsty), a mile from the northern edge of Newport Pagnell.  It stands in fertile, low-lying farmland ...

St John the Baptist, Latton, Wiltshire

Parish church

The current church consists of a chancel, a nave, N and S transepts, a small S porch and a broad W tower. The lower part ...

St Swithin, Launcells, Cornwall

Parish church

The church is of standard Cornish aisled type, a S arcade of polyphant and a slightly late N arcade of granite. Nothing remains from the ...

St Mary Magdalene, Launceston, Cornwall

Parish church

A 14thc. tower survives from an earlier chapel, the building itself is the work of Sir Henry Trecarrell in 1511-24, entirely of granite, and externally ...

Launceston, White Hart Hotel, Cornwall

Hotel

The front entrance to the White Hart Hotel in Launceston is a reset doorway thought to be from the ruins of the Augustinian Priory of ...

St Michael, Lavendon, Buckinghamshire

Parish church

Lavendon is a village in the extreme N of the county, on the A428 road from Northampton (10 miles) to Bedford (8 miles). The church ...