Browse Sites

Filter by site name: A B C C D E E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R R S T U V W Y

Showing sites beginning with: S (show all).

Scattery Island (Inis Cathaig), Oratory

Church (ruin)

A small church, with nave and chancel, located immediately N of  what could be a 10thc. cathedral, c.7.16 m x 3.91 m and 2.67 m ...

St Leonard, Scorborough, Yorkshire, East Riding

Parish church

Scorborough is a hamlet in the East Riding of Yorkshire, about 4 miles N of Beverley.  The church is by J. L. Pearson, built 1857-1859 ...

St Leonard, Seaford, Sussex

Parish church

Seaford church has a W tower, an aisled nave with two-bay arcades and a S porch, a non-projecting transept, a large chancel with a polygonal ...

St Edmund, Seaton Ross, Yorkshire, East Riding

Parish church

The medieval church was rebuilt in brick in 1788 with nave, chancel and W tower; restored 1908 (Pevsner and Neave 1995, 674-5).

St Andrew, Sedbergh, Yorkshire, West Riding

Parish church

The town is the market and shopping centre for a dale still very much centred on farming. The church is long and low with a ...

St Lawrence, Sedgebrook, Lincolnshire

Parish church

Primarily a 15thc. church of nave, side aisles, W tower and chancel. The font is Romanesque.

Segenhoe, Bedfordshire

Parish church

The church, which is now a ruin, has a chancel, a nave with N aisle, and a W tower. The much repaired chancel is substantially ...

St Chad, Seighford, Staffordshire

Parish church

Seighford is a small village only 2½ miles NW of the centre of Stafford. St Chad's is a curious mixture of brick and stone building. ...

St Mary, Selattyn, Shropshire

Parish church

The church consists of a 13thc nave and chancel, 18thc tower, 19thc N aisle, N and S transepts. There is a font at W end ...

St Mary and St Germain, Selby Abbey, Yorkshire, West Riding

Abbey church

This well-known building was begun c.1100 as the main church of a Benedictine abbey.  It is a very large church in the centre of the ...

St James, Selham, Sussex

Parish church

A small church comprising an 11thc. nave with a plain N doorway, a 19thc. N porch and 14thc. S chapel which was rebuilt in the ...

St Tysilio, Sellack, Herefordshire

Parish church

Sellack is a village in the Wye Valley, 3 miles NW of Ross-on-Wye. The village is a small settlement on the S bank of the ...

St Peter, Selsey, Sussex

Parish church

A new parish church was erected on a new site in 1864-66, incorporating the nave arcades of the old church. The 13thc. chancel of the ...

St Leonard, Semley, Wiltshire

Parish church

The original church was rebuilt between 1866 and 1876 to designs by T. H. Wyatt. The only Romanesque feature is the reused font bowl.

All Saints, Settrington, Yorkshire, East Riding

Parish church

The church stands on the eastern edge of the present settlement. Perpendicular elements, including a fine W tower dominate from the exterior, although the the ...

St Denys, Severn Stoke, Worcestershire

Parish church

Built of grey, rubble masonry throughout, the church comprises a nave with S aisle and porch, a transept on the S side of the church, ...

St Mary Magdalene, Shabbington, Buckinghamshire

Parish church

Shabbington is a village in the east of central Buckinghamshire, 10 miles SW of Aylesbury on the Oxfordshire border, formed at this point by the ...

St John the Baptist, Shadingfield, Suffolk

Parish church

St John's is a flint church with a tall W tower and an aisleless nave and chancel forming a single space within, but separately roofed ...

St Michael, Shalbourne, Wiltshire

Parish church

 A flint and stone church with 12thc. nave (possibly rebuilt in the 13thc.),  19thc. S aisle, early 14thc. chancel and S transept, 15thc. W tower and ...

St Mary, Shaw, Berkshire

Parish church

Shaw is on the NE  edge of Newbury in the Kennet valley, and shares that town's urban character. Shaw House, alongside the church, ranks as ...