St Peter, Flawborough, Nottinghamshire
- Site Location
- National Grid Reference
- SK 782 429
now (or name of monument): St Peter
- Type of building/monument
- Parish church
II General Description
A small red brick parish church entirely rebuilt in 1840-41 and consisting of a chancel, nave and W tower. An inscription over the W door gives the date 1840. Both the font and W doorway appear to be reused work of c. 1150.
III Exterior Features
(i) W doorway
Round headed of two orders, re-set.
The archivolt has a fine, keeled roll on the angle roll and on the face, a row of centripetal chevron carved lateral to the face, following a row of nailhead. At the apex of each chevron, in place of a nailhead there are the vestiges of small carvings, some of which are identifiable as leaves. In the triangles above the chevrons are roundels or patera carved with rosettes, apart from the central one, which has leaf ornament, and that to its left, which has a spiral design similar to an ammonite. The apex of the soffit is decorated with a rosette.
The archivolt and soffit have lateral chevron, carved point-to-point, of the profile roll/hollow, separated by an angle roll. The hollows are carved with foliage. Beyond the hollows, in the outer triangles are small palmettes, with the exception of the first and sixth from the right, which have small double roundels/patera and the first four from the left, which have rosettes.
|h. of opening||2.13 m|
|w. of opening||1.03 m|
Located in the SW corner of the nave. Unlined cylindrical bowl tapering out slightly towards the top standing on a later octogonal plinth and base. Decorated with an 21 bays ofblind arcading with intersecting arches in low relief with plain capitals above necking and shallow rectangular bases, both shown in outline. There is some damage to the S side and a portion of the rim on the W side has been replaced.
|h. of bowl||0.39m|
|Ext. diam. at rim||0.67 m|
|Thickness of bowl at rim||0.07 m|
|int. depth of bowl||0.38 m|
Flawborough is mentioned in the Domesday Survey as being in the lands of Walter D'Aincourt.
The W doorway appears to have been recut to some extent. The rosette on the soffit of the first ordermay not be original. Cox suggests that the doorway may originally have been the S doorway of the original building.
- J. C. Cox, County Churches: Nottinghamshire, London, 1912, 91-92.
- N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, 2nd ed. London, 1979; reprinted (with corrections) 1997, 128.