St James, Spaldwick, Huntingdonshire
- Site Location
- National Grid Reference
- TL 128 728
Lincoln to 1837
now (or name of monument): St James
- Type of building/monument
- Parish church
II General Description
St James's has a 12thc. nave to which a four-bay S aisle was added in the late 13thc. The chancel and its arch are also late 13thc., and a S chapel was added c. 1500, when the aisle was rebuilt. Clerestoreys were added to N and S of the nave late in the 14thc. The W tower is also 14thc. work. It has a broach spire with three tiers of lucarnes and rises 152 feet. Construction is of stone and pebble rubble, save the tower and spire (of ashlar) and the nave clerestorey (of brick). Romanesque sculpture is found on the N doorway and the font.
III Exterior Features
(i) N nave doorway
Two orders, round-headed.
2nd order: continuous with geometrical pseudo-beakhead (beaker-clasp), each unit consisting of a stepped, fluted clasp on an angle roll. The label is chamfered with a row of billet on the chamfer, and there are human head label stops, too worn to discern features, but turned towards one another across the doorway. At the apex above the label is a frontal, worn human head corbel.
|h of opening||2.55 m|
|w of opening||1.32 m|
At W end of S aisle, an octagonal bowl, made from a square block chamfered in two steps at the angles. The upper rim has a roll and the lower rim a chamfer. The bowl stands on an octagonal central shaft with 4 circular angle shafts on a low plinth. The basin is lead lined and circular.
|overall h||0.92 m|
|h of bowl||0.40 m|
|ext. diameter (AF)||0.74 m|
|ext. diameter (corner to corner)||0.79 m|
|int. diameter||0.59 m|
In 1086 the manor of 15 hides was held by Ely abbey. No church was noted.
There seems to be a distant recollection of the Prior's Doorway at Ely in the disposition of the label stops of the N doorway. It is unfortunate that their state of preservation prevents a closer comparison.
- N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Bedfordshire and the County of Huntingdon and Peterborough, Harmondsworth 1968, 345.
- RCHM(E), An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. London 1926, 242-44.
- Victoria County History: Huntingdonshire. III (1936).