The church consists of nave, S porch, N aisle, N chapel, chancel and W tower, built of rubble limestone with some ashlar. The church and churchyard lie close to the angle of two roads, opposite a park.
Adwick-le-Street takes its name from the Roman road between Doncasterand Castleford, the suffix distinguishing it from Adwick-on-Dearne. The road also forms part of the parish boundary with Brodsworth. The settlement is named in Domesday Book, but the first mention of a church is when it was given, c.1170x1181, to the Cistercian nuns of Hampole Priory two miles away (Hunter 1828, 352-6; VCH 1913, 163). There is however a reference to Hampole in existence as a Benedictine house in 1156 (English Heritage/National Monuments Record website), in which case the gift, although unrecorded, may have been 1156x1181.
Doorway of 3 orders; all the stone much worn, blown out and hollowed in the way of some Magnesian limestones, although tooling can be seen occasionally where the original skin survives, as on the L impost and the R capital. No bases are visible due to the height of the Victorian tiled floor and recently-built ramped entrance. The stones of the capitals and first and second orders are large in comparison with those of the third order, and larger than normal 12th-century stones.
|Height of opening||2.4m|
|Width of opening||1.41m|
Continuous, plain and square.
Free-standing shaft. Capitals massive, extremely worn and hard to define, perhaps a twin scallop form; unusually, they also contrive to carry the third order arch. Impost has deep chamfer, quirk near bottom of upright. In the arch, a roll moulding similar to the shaft in dimensions, but not running in line with it.
Parts of two windows can be seen inside in the S wall of the chancel (Morris 1923, 74). The more easterly line of facing stones of one blocked window is cut into by the E arch of the sedilia; the round-headed window on the W end of this wall, partly blocked, seems to conflict with the blocked priest’s doorway.
A string course survives above the sedilia. It is double-chamfered with an upright central section.
This is simple and square with a narrow chamfer, but it has had a basin inserted rather roughly in the L side; this basin is octagonal. The assemblage does not appear to have been restored.
|Width within chamfer||0.35m|
There are two seats, the more easterly seat is raised one course higher than the other but the heads of the arches reach the same height. Both round-headed alcoves have a slight chamfer in the arch and jambs; the stonework of the seats at the bottom is rougher. The central support has a plain plinth; base upright and chamfered; slender column; necking; bell capital; impost upright, chamfered and upright. The column structure is tied to the back wall of the sedilia by a sort of stone bridge or reduced second capital. It appears that the upper parts of the sedilia, including the pillar, capital and chamfered edges, have been renewed or recut.
|Depth of alcove||0.315m|
|Height of arch above highest seat||1.09m|
|Width of sedilia within chamfer||1.345m|
Two fragments are on a window sill in the chancel. A third fragment also in this position, described as a stoup, was not photographed individually but can be seen in the interior view of the S wall of the chancel to the R of the pieces described below.
|Capital, max. side face||0.25m|
|Plinth, broken longer side||w. 0.28m|
|Plinth ht. approx.||0.125m|
|Plinth, shorter but complete side||0.205m|
A plain square plinth with waterholding bases for two columns.
The fragment is inverted on the sill. In the style of the late 12th-century work.
R. H. Brooks, A brief history and guide to Adwick-le-Street and the Church of St. Laurence c.1150, Doncaster 1997.
W. Page (ed.), Victoria County History: Yorkshire vol. III, 1913 (reprinted 1974).
Joseph Hunter, South Yorkshire, Deanery of Doncaster 1, Nichols, London, 1828.
G. Lawton, Collectio rerum ecclesiasticarum de diocesi Eboracensi; or, collections relative to churches and chapels within the Diocese of York. To which are added collections relative to churches and chapels within the diocese of Ripon., New edition, London, 1842.
J. E. Morris, The West Riding of Yorkshire, London, 2nd ed. (1911) 1923.
N. Pevsner, revised by E. Radcliffe, The Buildings of England, Yorkshire, The West Riding, Harmondsworth, 1967.
J Raine, The Dedications of the Yorkshire Churches, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal , 2 (1873).
P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, South Yorkshire County Council Archaeology Monograph no.2. Sheffield, 1982.