St Margaret's has a large, squarish nave of alternate limestone and ironstone courses, dating from the rebuilding of 1827-28 by Charles Squirhill. This replaced an aisled 13thc. nave, and the W responds of the arcades still remain, along with the S doorway under a medieval porch. Also from the medieval church are the small, square chancel (13thc.) and the W tower (13thc. in its lowest parts). There are vestries to N and S of the chancel, the S a modern addition. Inside the nave the church retains its W gallery, with an organ in the centre and benches to either side. The font may, at a pinch, be 12thc., but is more probably 13thc.
In 1086 Denton was divided between Countess Judith and Ramsey Abbey. No church was recorded.
Benefice of Yardley Hastings, Denton and Grendon with Castle Ashby and Whiston.
At W end of nave under the gallery towards the S. It consists of a chalice-shaped bowl mounted on a moulded Perpendicular pedestal, and is lead lined and painted all over in grey. The bowl is decorated with a row of eight large crosses in relief with stepped bases and tops, their arms connected leaving two rows of square depressed fields.
|ext. diam. at top||0.65 m|
|h. of bowl||0.425 m|
|int. diam. at top||0.475 m|