St Mary Immaculate, Carrick-on-Bannow

Feature Sets (2)


The Roman catholic church is modern. It houses a 12thc. font.


The font is said to have come from St Mary's church, Bannow Bay, built c.1188, traditionally by monks from Canterbury. It was removed from Bannow to Rathangan, before being moved to the new Roman Catholic church at Carrick-on-Bannow in the 19thc.




A font with the square bowl approximating the form of a triple scallop capital. The font is whitewashed but is otherwise in a good state of preservation. The base has a moulded upper edge. The bowl is decorated on all four faces. Each face is framed by a row of geometric ornament comprising alternating triangles forming zigzags. The stem is round and slightly conical.

The shields contain the following ornament:

Face a: a central spray of foliage with a broad upright leaf flanked by two flowers and long curling beaded stems which branch and extend into the outer scallops, terminating in single leaves.

Faces b and d: curling beaded stems intertwine in the centre and terminate in the outer scallops in three-lobed leaves.

Face c: (less finished than a, b, and d) pairs of beaded stems spring from the centre top and bottom of the shield, intersecting and ending in serrated leaves at the outer corners. The border of shield area in this instance is plain, without geometric decoration, and the leaves lack detailed carving.

The bowl contains a marble inset, with two rectangular divisions.


The design and decoration is very similar to the font at Fethard-on-Sea, and the font is evidently a product of the same workshop.


  • P. Hore, History of the Town and County of Wexford, 1904, IV, 437-63.
  • M. J. Moore, Archaeological Inventory of County Wexford, Dublin, 1996, 147, 152.
  • J. Pike, Medieval Fonts of Ireland, privately published, Greystones, 1989, 14.


Site Location
National Grid Reference
S 87 10 
now: Wexford
now: St Mary Immaculate and St Joseph
medieval: not confirmed
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Tessa Garton