Hamstead Marshall is a village in the SW of the county, 4 miles W of Newbury and a mile N of the Hampshire border. The village is on the south bank of the River Kennett, and within its parish boundaries are Hamstead Park and various copses and areas of woodland. The present centre is at the south of the parish, while the church is in the north, near the river, Morewood and Craven houses, and a cluster of moated sites. St Mary's has a nave with a 14thc. N aisle, chancel, 18thc. brick W tower. A plain 12thc. S doorway is the only Romanesque feature.
The manor was held by Edward from Edward the Confessor before the Conquest, when it was assessed at 4 hides. In 1086 it was worth only 1 hide and was held by Hugolin the Steersman. In addition to the ploughland there was a mill, 6 acres of meadow and woodland for 10 pigs. It takes its name from the Marshalls, Earls of Pembroke, and it is likely that the great William Marshall (d.1219) was given the manor by Henry III.
Round-headed, of one order
|h. of opening||2.16 m|
|w. of opening||0.96 m|
Domesday (Berkshire), 63b.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Berkshire. Harmondsworth 1966, 152.
G. Tyack, S. Bradley and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Berkshire. New Haven and London 2010, 320.
Victoria County History: Berkshire IV (1924), 178-83