St Andrew's has a clerestoreyed nave with four-bay N and S aisles. Of these, only pier 2 of the N arcade is 12thc., so the original nave was probably only two bays long. This was extended W and E in the later 13thc. or early 14thc., and the lower parts of the tower and the chancel date from this period. A chapel was added to the N of the chancel in 1687. The rest of the chancel was largely rebuilt by E. F. Law in 1867. The tower had a spire that fell in 1759, and the upper parts were rebuilt shortly afterwards, along with parts of the nave damaged by the collapse. The only Romanesque feature is in the N nave arcade.
In 1086 Great Billing was held by Gilbert the cook. No church was recorded.
Benefice of Great Billing with Little Billing.
The arcade is of four bays, all arches pointed and of two chamfered orders to N and S. it is carried on cylindrical piers with demi-octagonal responds at the ends. Only pier 2 and its capital, base and impost are 12thc., the remainder of the capitals and imposts date from c.1280-1310.
Pier 2: cylindrical pier on spurred double-roll base with a bell-shaped capital with chamfered necking and plain chamfered impost. On each angle of the capital is a single leaf with an axial keel and no stem. The rest of the bell is carved with a large, sawtooth-like design, two teeth per face, which loops below the angle leaves. Above the bell is a short plain abacus.