The church has a small rectangular barrel-vaulted nave (measuring 8.78m x 5.33m internally) with an upper chamber under a steep gabled stone roof. The chancel is lost but the chancel arch, plain, with chamfered imposts, remains. Small gabled windows survive on the N and S of the nave and in the E gable of the upper chamber. There is a round-headed window at the W end of the upper chamber. The only sculptural decoration is found on the W doorway. A collection of loose carved stone including some Romanesque pieces are housed in the church.
Killaloe was the centre of Ua Briain power in the late 11th and 12thc., and was the burial place of Toirrdelbaig Ua Briain(1086) and Muirchertach Ua Briain (1119). It was established as a see at the synod of Rathbreasail in 1111 (see Killaloe Cathedral).
|w. at base of jambs||1.06 m|
|w. at top of jambs||0.97 m|
Plain square jambs and arch. Chamfered imposts.
Monolithic detached nook-shafts with attic bases on a high plinth.
N capital: Simple upright leaves with angle volutes.
Of one order, plain, square. The jambs have plain chamfered imposts.
Decorated on two faces, with two lozenges enclosing foliage rosettes on front face, and chevron flanked by beading on the lateral face.
Decorated on two faces with a chevron (two rolls flanked by beading) which wraps over the arris and has foliage in the triangles outside the chevron. (Formerly at Clarisford).
With two teeth of interlocking hyphenated chevron alternating on face and soffit, with foliage in triangles. (Formerly at Clarisford).
With a half-rosette in the triangle. (Formerly at Clarisford).