This is a simple church with a W tower, a single-cell 12thc. nave and a 13thc. chancel. A carved window head is found on the S side of the nave. The church also contains a plain font.
In 1086, Lanfranc, Archbishop of Canterbury, held Tangmere, in the Rape of Chichester, in lordship. A church is mentioned at that time.
Of one order, with a monolithic arcuated window head carved with two standing figures with blocky bodies and oversized heads, reaching out towards one another. The figure on the left seems to carry something in its arms (lamb?). The figures are carved in shallow relief.
See para.VIII below.
(Location: S side of nave, to W of S doorway.) Plain tub (cylindrical) font with prominent rim. Remains of staples in rim to NW and repair diametrically opposite to SE.
|h. from floor||0.76 m|
|h. of tub||0.61 m|
|max. circ.||2.04 m|
|outer diam.||0.63 m|