Madley is a large village in central Herefordshire, 6 miles W of Hereford. There is evidence of Iron Age and Roman settlement in the area, and a Roman road runs through the E end of the village, running from Leominster towards Abergavenny. The church stands in the centre of the village. It has an aisled and clerestoried nave with a north porch and a S chapel; a W tower, and a chancel with a crypt below it. The building history begins with the 12thc. N porch, apparently once the transept of a much shorter church. The present church is substantially of the 13thc. and 14thc., and the oldest part of this is the W tower, whose E arch still has a form of scalloped capital, and whose windows and bell-openings are plain, pointed chamfered lancets. The nave arcades are of six bays, carried on cylindrical columns with moulded capitals and chamfered, two-order pointed arches. The clerestory windows are plain pointed lancets. The aisles extend westward alongside the W tower; a 13thc. arrangement with the original lancets surviving on both sides. There was a major remodelling c.1320, when the four eastern bays of the N nave aisle were heightened and fitted with three-light reticulated windows, and a chapel with a four-bay arcade was added S of the S aisle (the Chilstone Chapel). The semi-octagonal-apsed chancel and its crypt also date from this campaign. There were repairs in the 17thc. and 18thc. (see Anon (1957) below). In 1833-35 and again in 1871-79 the church was re-seated and repaired; the latter campaign under the supervision of F. R. Kempson of Cardiff. Further repairs were carried out in 1962-64 and in 1979, both times by H. J. Powell of Scriven, Powell and James, Hereford. Photographs of the 13thc. E tower arch capitals are included, but no description. The former N transept, now the N porch, has plain 12thc. lancets on its E and W walls, and the remains of a 12thc. arch above the present 13thc. entrance. These have been photographed but include no sculpture and are not described in detail here. The only 12thc. feature recorded below is the font.
According to the Domesday Survey Madley was the property of the canons of Hereford. The dedication of the church to the Nativity of the Virgin is rare in England and Bond says that there are only 12 such dedications in the country.
On the N side under the western tower is a breccia or Ccornstone font. The large, shallow bowl of this font, with a roll-moulding at the bottom, has a major horizontal crack around the bowl at mid-level, repaired in a dark mortar. There are also rim repairs at W and E. The bowl is lined with lead. The stem, made of two courses of sandstone ashlar, and the chamfered base are not original.
|ext. diam. at rim||1.20 m|
|h. of bowl||0.43|
|h. of plinth||0.17 m|
|h. of stem||0.58 m|
|int. diam. at rim||0.92 m|
|max. circ. of bowl||3.95 m|
|overall h. of font||1.17 m|
Anon., 'Madley Church Repairs etc. in the 17th and 18th centuries', Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists’, Field Club XXXV Part III (1957), 308-10.
F. Bond, Dedications of English Churches, Ecclesiastical Symbolism, Saints and Emblems, Oxford University Press, 1914, 31.
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 497-501.
W. E. H. Clarke, 'Madley Church', Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists, Field Club, (1916), 106-13.
C. S. Drake, 'The Distribution of Tournai Fonts', The Antiquaries Journal, LXXIII, 1993, 11-26.
R. Halsey, 'Eight Herefordshire Marble Fonts', Romanesque and Gothic: Essays for George Zarnecki, Woodbridge, Suffolk, 1987, 107-09.
Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 6867. Now available online at http://www.smr.herefordshire.gov.uk/db.php/p
G. Marshall, Fonts in Herefordshire. Hereford, Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, Published in 3 parts: I (1949); II (1950); III (1951), 33.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, Harmondsworth 1963, 247.