St Michael the Archangel, Halam, Nottinghamshire

Feature Sets (3)

Description

The church consists of a chancel with S vestry, nave with S aisle, N porch and W tower. While the chancel arch dates from the 12thc., the nave and chancel appear to be 13thc. The tower and S aisle were added in the early 14thc. One of the two bells in the truncated tower is said to date from before 1200. The church was much restored between 1884-89.

History

Until 1868 the church was served by the clergy of Southwell Minster.

Features

Interior Features

Arches

Chancel arch/Apse arches

Chancel arch

Round-headed, of two orders to W and one to E.

Dimensions
w. of opening 2.75m
First order (shared)

Plain base with single roll moulding, much damaged, supporting a plain half column with chamfered necking. The capital is multiscallop, with beading following the line of the shields. Above a shallow roll the abacus is carved with zigzag. The impost is hollow chamfered with a row of shallow-carved lozenges on the upright.

The arch has a thick angle roll to E and W.

Second order, W face

Plain base with single roll moulding, much damaged. Plain half-column.

S capital: multi-scallop (four cones on the N face and two on the E face). The shields are circular and recessed slightly.

N capital: multi-scallop (three cones on the S face and two on the E face), with beading in the shields, as first order. Much of this capital has been restored.

The impost continues from the first order.

The arch has an angle roll and a shallow roll on the face. Chamfered label.

Furnishings

Fonts

Cox (1912) describes a Norman font of sandstone on five pillars. Although his description matches the current font, this has obviously been recut.

Comments/Opinions

Bibliography

  • St Michael the Archangel - Halam. n.p., n.a., n.d.
  • J. C. Cox, County Churches: Nottinghamshire. London 1912, 102-03.
  • N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, 2nd ed London 1979. Reprinted (with corrections) 1997, 136-137.

Location

Site Location
Halam
National Grid Reference
SK 679 544 
Boundaries
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Nottinghamshire
now: Nottinghamshire
Diocese
medieval: York
now: Southwell and Nottingham
Dedication
now: St Michael the Archangel
medieval: St Michael the Archangel
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Simon Kirsop