St Eadburga, Abberton, Worcestershire

Feature Sets (2)

Description

Rebuilt on the site of the old church in 1881-2. Some 14thc. stone was reused in the Victorian building, but the only 12thc. work is the font.

History

Four manses at Abberton were among the possessions said to have been confirmed to the Abbey of Pershore by King Edgar in 972. At the date of DS two berewicks, Edbritone and Edbritintune, both probably identifiable with the modern Abberton, belonged to the Abbey of Pershore's manor of Pershore. The manor of Abberton was described as three carucates of land, worth three marks yearly, in 1291. It was held by the Abbey of Pershore until the Dissolution, when it passed to the Crown.

Features

Furnishings

Fonts

Font

Chalice-shaped bowl with a band of nested chevron running clockwise around the rim and a row of single roll around the bowl at the bottom of the straight-sided part. The bowl is broken into two parts laterally and has been repaired with mortar. The stem is modern.

Dimensions
circ. at rim 2.06 m
dia. at rim 0.66 m
d. of bowl 0.23 m
h. of bowl 0.41 m
int. diam. of bowl 0.50 m

Comments/Opinions

(cf. The font at Wyre Piddle, Worcestershire)

Bibliography

  • The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Worcestershire, vol.IV, London 1924.

  • N.Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Worcestershire, Harmondsworth 1968, 68.

Location

Site Location
Abberton
National Grid Reference
SO 994 535 
Boundaries
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Worcestershire
now: Worcestershire
Diocese
medieval: Worcester
now: Worcester
Dedication
now: St Eadburga
medieval: not confirmed
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
G. L. Pearson