St Peter's has a nave with a four-bay N aisle, an aisleless chancel and a three-storey W tower with a broach spire. There are doorways to S, W and N, the last under a porch. The thick N nave wall may be a survival from the 12thc church. The S aisle with its arcade was added c. 1300, and the chancel also dates from this period. The tower is late 14thc. At some time in the 15thc the E end of the chancel was rebuilt, and the nave heightened with a clerestorey to the S only. The chancel was restored in 1871 when the east wall was largely rebuilt and a new roof put on; the rest of the church was refurbished in 1876-79. The south aisle was partly rebuilt in 1903-4. The spire was struck by lightning on 3rd July 1908, and subsequently repaired. Construction is of stone rubble except for the S aisle (cobble), and the spire (ashlar). A few architectural fragments and pieces of tombs are reset in the interior walls (see IV.5.c).
Easton was assessed under Bedfordshire in 1086. No less than six landholders are listed, the main ones being Hugh the Butler (2 hides and 3 virgates ) and William de Warenne (just over 2 hides held by in 4 parcels). Smaller holdings were in the hands of the Bishops of Coutances and Lincoln, Hugh de Beauchamp and Osbern fitzRichard.
Benefice of East Leightonstone.
Each element double scalloped with sheathed scallops and depressed shields with a square abacus above. Set in S aisle wall.
|w. at top||0.245 m|
|max. h,||0.31 m|
|max. w.||0.23 m|
Roughly rectangular with a semicircular chamfered opening. Set in N nave wall.
|diam. of opening||0.11 m|
|max. h.||0.19 m|
|max w.||0.36 m|