Built of sandstone rubble with sandstone facings. The church comprises a nave, chancel and timbered W tower, largely of the early 13thc., a S aisle of the 14thc., and a ruined, roofless N chapel of the 16thc. Romanesque sculpture is found in the chancel arch. There is also a plain font.
In 1086, Ralph Mortimer held half a hide; it had previously been held by Sawold. The Mortimers of Wigmore continued to be overlords.
Pointed, slightly depressed, two orders.
Half-shafts with central fillet on water-holding bases with a slight projection below the fillet; the plinths appear to have had spurs, now removed. The shafts are flanked by hollow chamfers. Plain neckings continuing over the chamfer, carved capitals (see below) and chamfered impost blocks with a groove at the arris.
L capital: one row of plain pointed leaves, those at the angles with moulded borders; R section renewed.
R capital: carved in shallow relief with one row of plain leaves, ovoid in shape with thick stems rising from a narrow roll above the necking. Repair in the centre of the main face. Two fat soffit rolls in the arch, separated by a fillet.
Nook shafts directly on plinths, again with spur ornament probably removed. No capitals, but a narrow abacus with chamfered angle beneath impost, which is continuous with first order. The arch bears a fat roll inside a hollow chamfer.
Plain cylindrical bowl with rolled lower edge below a fillet on cylindrical moulded stem, which may be of later date. The bowl has at some time been broken and repaired, its rim re-cut and squared off. No lead lining.
|circ. of bowl||2.23 m|
|diam. of bowl||0.71 m|
|h. of bowl||0.23 m|
|int. diam. of bowl||0.51 m|
|int. d. of bowl||0.19 m|