Ruined nave and chancel,11.58m x 6.4m and 5.18m x 4.72m respectively (Westropp), with only low sections of wall remaining. E gable fallen leaving only base of E window. No features of interest remain in situ, but a carved Romanesque lintel stone lies in the churchyard to the S of the church. There is also a plain font.
There is no certain evidence about the founder of the church. The church was recorded in 1302.
Lying in the nave. Square bowl with plain chamfered sides and a central drain hole, with a short square stem. The base is separate and similarly chamfered.
|d. of base||0.52 m|
|d. of bowl||0.56 m|
|h. of base||0.15 m|
|h. of bowl||0.38 m|
|w. of base||0.52 m|
|w. of bowl||0.56 m|
The lintel lies in the churchyard S of the church (at the foot of the grave of John Davoren). It was recorded and drawn by Westropp (JRSAI, 1900, 421) as the head of the E window. The window arch is surmounted on the exterior by a triangular label with a projecting human head at the top (head projects approx. 0.05 m) The triangular gable contains an upright palmette and extends at the sides into foliage with long scalloped leaves, which curl up to frame the gable and human head. The exterior window opening is slightly recessed from a decorated label and has a slight splay at the sides. The rear arch is plain, round-headed and splayed
|average d. of stone||0.20 m approx.|
The jambstone is set in the ground to the S of the S doorway. It has mouldings of the profile roll-hollow-roll on the narrow face, and cavetto on the broad face, flanked by a narrow angle roll (damaged).
|w.||0.65 m (minimum)|
M. Keane, Towers and Temples of Ancient Ireland. Dublin 1867, 368.
A. Swinfen, Forgotten Stones; Ancient Church Sites of the Burren and Environs. Dublin 1992, 35.
T.J. Westropp, 'The Antiquities of the Northern Portion of the County of Clare' JRSAI, 30, (1900a), 420-21.
T.J. Westropp, 'The Churches of County Clare, and the origin of the ecclesiastical divisions in that county,' PRIA, 22 (1900b) 133.