All Saints, Rampton, Cambridgeshire

Feature Sets (3)


All Saints has a nave of four bays with S aisle and S porch and a vestry on the N side, a broad, aisleless chancel, and a W tower with a low pyramid roof. The chancel arch is 12thc. in its lower parts but was rebuilt, along with the chancel, c.1330. The S nave aisle dates from the late 13thc., and the tower arch is Perpendicular, although the tower itself must be earlier in its lower stages. The porch is 18thc. and of brick, while the remainder of the church is in a rubble mixture of pebble, rough stone and conglomerate. The upper storeys of the tower are rendered and the nave roof is thatched. Romanesque features described are the chancel arch and stones reset in the exterior E wall of the chancel.


In 1086, the manor was held by Roger from Picot of Cambridge. No church was mentioned then, but Rampton church was among those given by Picot to Barnwell Priory when he founded it in 1092.


Exterior Features

Exterior Decoration


Four stones reset in the chancel E wall gable.

Below central shaft.

Human head corbel with almond-shaped eyes with projecting pupils, deep brows, bulbous nose and a long moustache.

C stone, above shaft.

Chevron voussoir as L stone.

L stone:

Centrifugal, single roll chevron voussoir with cogwheel edge.

R stone.

Chevron voussoir as L stone.

Reset in the chancel N wall.

Square stone

Square stone with chamfered corners bearing an inscribed, compass-drawn quatrefoil.

Interior Features


Chancel arch/Apse arches

Chancel arch

Of two orders to E and W. Only the jambs are 12thc., the two-order, double-chamfered, four-centred arch is 14thc.

First order (shared): coursed half-columns on hollow-chamfered bases with simple, multi-scallop capitals with plain neckings and hollow-chamfered imposts.

Second order W: en-delit nook shafts on hollow-chamfered bases. On the N side a plain triple scallop capital, on the S a sheathed double scallop capital, both with plain neckings and imposts continuous from the 1st order.

Second order E: as second order W, but both capitals are sheathed double scallops.


Presumably the chancel arch was widened in the 14thc., the jambs moved further apart and the present four-centred arch installed.


  • N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Cambridgeshire, Harmondsworth 1954 (2nd ed. 1970), 451.


Site Location
National Grid Reference
TL 428 681 
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Cambridgeshire
now: Cambridgeshire
medieval: not confirmed
now: Ely
now: All Saints
medieval: not confirmed
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Ron Baxter