Newhaven church is poised on a hilltop, high above the Ouse estuary. It comprises a simple semi-circular apse, a central tower without transepts and a double aisled nave of 1791. There is a vestry (1825) at the E end of the N aisle, and a porch at the E end of the S. The church was largely rebuilt by Habershon in 1854.
Newhaven was known as Meeching until the 17thc., when a new harbour was created there.
There is a double bell-opening in the E, S and N faces of the central tower. All are Norman, but while those on the S and N sides have simple chamfered jambs and arches, that on the E side is more elaborate. It has a central (or mid-wall) shaft with a shaft-ring or annulet, base and capital. The capital is very worn, but may have had a waterleaf design originally. An edge roll runs around the heads of the arches and down the lateral jambs. There are angle rolls on the corners of the tower.
SE corner: very worn, but with two blobs, which may have been heads.
E1: human head
E2: plain roll
E3: animal head?
E4: a long corbel possibly carved with indecipherable symmetrical motif
E5: a kneeling caryatid figure, possibly in ecclesiastical garb (bishop??)
E6: animal head with bridle
E7: animal head
E8: animal head
E9: very worn: two heads?
E10: animal head with horns?
N1: animal head (?worn)
N2: double roll (?worn)
N3: human head
N6: human head
N7: large spherical form
N8: small spherical form
SW corner: damaged
S1: cat-like animal head with pointed ears
S2: animal head with furrowed snout and brow, and bulging eyes
S4: broken off
S5: Animal head (worn)
S6: two heads?
S7: cusped form with edge frill
S9: quadruped facing W (?)
SE corner: two heads (?)
W1: two heads (?)
W2: long corbel
W3-7 (approx number) concealed by nave roof
W8-12 all damaged
A carved stone beneath corbel E6 appears to be carved with a boat.
A carved stone between corbels E4 and E5 may represent an animal.
The round-headed E and W arches of the central tower have been very restored.
The E arch opens into the apse. Its E face has a plain arch and jambs enhanced by an angle roll. The W face comprises two orders, both with a plain angle roll carried on imposts with a groove on the face and hollow chamfer, carved capitals, engaged columnar shafts and attic bases. All four capitals are double-scallop type, with plain shields and sheaths. There is a drilled band on the angle of capitals N1 and S1. The bases of the inner order have spurs.
The W face of the W arch has a single order, with an angle roll on the arch and jambs, and no capitals. The impost blocks (groove on the face; hollow chamfer) run through to the E face of the arch, which comprises two plain orders with double-scallop capitals. Capitals N1 and N2 both have a drilled band on the angle, while S1 and S2 are plain.