The church has an aisled nave with a clerestorey on the S side only, chancel and W tower. The nave arcades are of two bays and date from c.1300. The N aisle has been widened and extended W ward alongside the tower, probably in the 19thc. The N aisle doorway has been blocked; the S is 19thc. and protected by a porch. The chancel has chapels to N and S, the N chapel two bays long with an arcade of c.1300; the S of a single bay which now houses the organ. The W tower is of three unbuttressed storeys; the lower storeys 12thc. with plain round-headed lancets in the S and W walls, the top storey bell-openings all with replaced heads and probably 13thc. A parapet has been added, perhaps in the 18thc. The church was extensively restored by William Slater and Gillet in 1863, and further repairs were carried out by E. A. Roberts and P. J. Panter of Wellingborough in 1961-66. Romanesque features described here are the plain tower arch and the font.
The largest landholder in 1086 was Countess Judith with 2 hides and 1 virgate held from her by Hugh. In addition, 1 hide and 3 virgates were held by St Edmundsbury Abbey, and 3 virgates belonged to the holding of the Bishop of Coutances in Wadenhoe, held from him by Aubrey. The first mention of the church is in 1224, when the advowson was in the hands of the abbot of Bury, and the abbey retained the advowson for the remainder of the middle ages.
Benefice of Walgrave with Hannington and Wold and Scaldwell.
At the W end of the nave, S of the tower arch. The font stands on an extremely tall modern double step, which raises it to an unusually high level. The bowl is chalice-shaped with a roll around the angle of the rim and another, thinner roll just below. The lower rim projects and the edge has angle rolls at top and bottom. The upper rim has lock damage, and the basin is lined with lead. The bowl stands on a five-shafted pier with panels between the shafts, some carved with relief quatrefoils in circles. This pier must be 14thc., but the bowl dates from the 12thc.
|ext. diam.||0.76 m|
|h. of bowl and pier||0.90 m|
|h. of bowl (including lower rim)||0.46 m|
|int. diam.||0.52 m|