St Remigius stands on the south bank of the River Nene. It consists of a chancel, a nave with N and S aisles and a south porch, and a west tower with a broach spire. The walls are of rubble with stone dressings. The chancel and nave were rebuilt, and presumably the aisles added, during the 13thc. The west tower was added early in the 14thc. In 1887, the north aisle and its arcade were rebuilt, and the whole church restored. The tower was restored in 1892. Nothing of the 12thc. fabric remains, but three of the bell-openings of the tower contain 12thc. material reused, according to Pevsner, from Castor.
The manor of 5 hides was held by the Abbot of Thorney in 1086. A priest and a church are mentioned at that date.
Benefice of Elton (All Saints) with Stibbington and Water Newton.
1st order capital worn, but presumably a 12thc. waterleaf as in the W opening. The bar tracery above the lancets is chip-carved with saltires in squares. The 2nd order is the same as the S opening. The 3rd is continuous with a nook roll. The label is chamfered with corbel-like foliage stops.
Round-headed, three orders. The window opening itself contains a bar-tracery double (pointed) lancet with a central octagonal shaft carrying a worn capital, presumably a 12thc. waterleaf as in the W opening. The 2nd order is continuous and chamfered; the 3rd has nook shaftscarrying worn, low cushion capitals with roll neckings and no imposts. The arch has centrifugal lateral chevron on the face: a roll with a double-step fillet outside it. The label is chamfered with corbel-like foliage stops.
As S opening, except that the 1st order central shaft capital is better preserved and clearly a waterleaf, and in the 3rd order the N capital is a cushion with a half-daisy on the shield, and the S capital is a double scallop.