The original church burnt down in 1880 and was rebuilt by J L Pearson in 1881-2 in 13thc. style (VCH). It has nave, chancel, S aisle and transept and NW tower. Two 12thc. doorways were reused in the new church.
The 12thc. church was granted to Norstell Priory in 1291.
|h. of opening|
|w. of opening||1.01 m|
|h. incl. necking||0. 22 m|
|h. not incl. necking||0.18 m|
Detached nook-shafts are followed by capitals integral with the masonry of the jambs.
R capital: Above cable necking, a cushion capital with a volute in the angle and a row of cable dividing shield and cone. A triple cable, the outer strands twining away from the central strands, lies along the angle. On the N face a ribbon forms three loops while on the W face four ribbons intersect forming a square at centre. The shield is plain. There are traces of white pigment on the capital.
L impost : hollow-chamfered with a cable running along the hollow. The upright has, on the N face, lozenges, and on the W face, four and a half chip-carved saltire crosses, the centres drilled to depths of up to 0.06 m.
R impost: The E face is plain, and the N face, though badly spalled is seen to be chamfered with a roll running along the chamfer and a thick band of cable separating the chamfered surface from the upright. The upright has a central roll, wider than that on the chamfer. There are traces of white pigment on the N face, heavy locally.
Round-headed, of two orders, reset. Similar yellow/brown stone to N doorway.
|diam. of capitals||0.26 m|
|h. of capitals||0.14 m|
|h. of opening|
|w. of opening||1.13 m|
Plain and continuous.
L block: a series of thick reeded diagonal mouldings.
R block: as L , the diagonal mouldings mirroring those on the L.