The former Augustinian friary is now a Church of Ireland parish church. The font is the only possibly Romanesque feature.
The Augustinian friary was founded c.1316 and adopted the Observant reform in 1472. The tower was added in the 15thc.
Located under the tower, the font has a bulbous base of coarse granite carved with scale ornament, a modern conical stem and a circular multi-scallop/fluted bowl. The exterior of the cones/flutes are decorated alternately with diagonal ridges and upright palmettes. The palmettes have a central stem with pairs of simple rounded leaves. The cones/flutes rise above the rim of the bowl, giving a scalloped edge to the rim. Between the cones are hollow grooves. The basis is circular and hollow and has no drain hole.
|diam. of base||0.50 m|
|h. of base||0.19 m|
|h. of bowl||0.28 m|
|internal diam.||0.33 m|
M. Killanin and M. Duignan, The Shell Guide to Ireland, London, 1962, 3rd ed. 1989, 36.
P. Harbison, Guide to the National and Historic Monuments of Ireland, (Dublin, 1992), 216.