Only the nave of the 12thc. church remains.
Kirdford was not mentioned in 1086. It was later part of the endowment of the priory of Arundel, re-founded by the Earl of Arundel as a cell of the abbey of Sez in Normandy in 1177.
16thc. wills refer to the dedication to St Mary.
Blocked S doorway, between the first and second windows from the W end of the nave, comprising two round-headed orders.
|h. of opening||2.20 m|
|w. of opening||1.135 m|
|w.||0.205 m x 0.19 m|
|w.||0.22 m x 0.21 m|
Continuous and plain.
A slightly angular roll is carried by nook shafts in three sections, with very worn carved capitals and plain impost blocks. The bases are concealed by the brick coursing of an open drain. Traces of an angle palmette may still be distinguished on the W capital, while its compliment on the E appears to have been an unadorned cushion capital.