The font is the only Romanesque feature in this nave and chancel church.
References to the church date from c.1200 but the church may predate the arrival of the Anglo-Normans as Ferns had claims apparently predating the earliest grants (Moore, Arch Survey, 157). The original location of the font is not known. Local tradition attributes it either to the Cistercian monastery at Tintern or Dunbrody (Pike, 1989, 14).
Supported by a square base with chamfered edge, the font bowl takes the form of a triple scallop capital. The bowl is decorated on one face with a shield of three scallops containing a foliage design framed by a row of geometric ornament comprising alternating triangles forming zigzags. The shield area contains a spray of foliage with an upright serrated leaf and two flowers in the centre, flanked by longer curling strands and S-shaped beaded stems which extend into the outer scallops and terminate in single leaves. The other three faces are plain. The stem of the font is round and slightly conical. Of sandstone (?).
|d. of bowl||069 m|
|h. of bowl||0.64 m|
|h. of bowl||0.23 m|
|w. of bowl||0.70 m|