The nave is 12thc. There are two S doorways. One has 12thc. sculpture, but has been much restored. Another, blocked-up, doorway is further E on the S wall of the nave. There are two blocked-up doorways on the N wall. Of one only the arch is visible. The tower is 13thc. with a later top storey. The chancel dates from c.1300.
In 1167 the village of Cardington was given by William FitzAlan to the Knights Templar, whose preceptory in Shropshire was at the manor of Lydley Hayes. The first documented priest was Arnulf in 1185. After the suppression of the Templars in 1308 Cardington and Lydley Hayes were given to the Knights Hospitallers. By 1318 Cardington was in the possession of Edmund FitzAlan, Earl of Arundel.
Round-headed. One order.
Round-headed. Two orders, one order of shafts.
|L capital||max w. E face c.0.14 m|
|L capital||h. 0.205 m|
|L capital||max w. S face, c.0.18 m|
|R capital||h 0.16 m|
|R capital||max w. W face 0.17 m|
|R capital||max w. S face 0.17 m|
|S doorway||h. 2.54 m w. 1.48 m|
Plain angular jambs. Plain voussoirs.
P. L. Bland, The Church of St James at Cardington, Shropshire Historic Churches Trust, c.1994.
English Heritage Listed Building id. 259552
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 93-4.