Cruciform church mainly of 1801, with a 17thc. N transept and 18thc. tower. The only Romanesque feature is the late 11thc. to early 12thc. font which is located to the to left of the S doorway.
At the time of DS, Adderley, along with Shavington, Spoonley and Calverhall, were held by Nigel, a clerk and physician, of Earl Roger de Montgomery. On Nigel's death Earl Roger took over his estates, but they were later forfeited to the crown. Later, Henry I gave Adderley to Alan de Dunstanvill.
The font is in the shape of a large cushion capital with thick plain necking. It has a columnar base, probably also medieval. The bowl is of (?)Grinshill stone. There is a Latin inscription at the top of each of the four faces.
E face: two spirals curving upwards and, respectively, to L and R. A thin double leaf emerges from the point where the two spirals converge, both above and below the meeting point of the two spirals. Chisel marks are visible on the surface.
S face: interlace ornament consisting of four intertwining tendrils that turn into spiral terminations.
W face: two spirals curving upwards and, respectively, to L and R. A triangle, its apex facing downwards, is carved below the line separating the inscription and the carving on this face and above the section where the two spirals meet. A triangle, standing on its long side, is carved at the lower rim of the capital underneath the area where the two spirals meet.
N face: a Maltese cross in a circle. One scalloped triangular leaf, its apex pointing downwards, in top L and top R of face.
|h. of bowl, with necking||0.52 m|
|h. of bowl, without necking||0.41 m|
|h. of entire font||1.05 m|
|max. w. E face||0.82 m|
|max. w. N face||0.62 m|
|max. w. S face||0.63 m|
|max. w. W face||0.82 m|
E face: [a cross] HIC MALE PRIMV
N face: S HOMO FRVI
W face: [T]VR CUM C[O]
S face: NIUGE POMO
J. C. Anderson,Shropshire: Its Early History and Antiquities. 1864, 400.
D. H. S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, 8, 1906, 662-666.
R. W. Eyton, The Antiquities of Shropshire, X, 1860, 5-6.
J. Newman and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Shropshire. Yale University Press: New Haven and London, 2006, 99-100.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Shropshire. Harmondsworth: Middlesex, 1958, 53.