Badgworth is in the centre of the county, 9 km inland from Burnham-on-Sea and 10 km S of Weston-super-Mare. The village consists of scattered houses on a loop of roads to the S of the A38, at the foot of Brinscombe Hill, a W extension of the Mendip Hills and the church also stands on this loop. To the SE of the village stands Badgworth Court. Badgworth looks across the valley of the river Axe to Crook Peak, about 3.5 km NNW. There is also a good view WSW to Brent Knoll. Agriculture has always been rich hereabouts, especially livestock-farming.
The rare dedication to St Congar (proudly claimed in the church guide as unique) is to be linked with the principal Somerset site associated with the saint at Congresbury, about 7 miles NNE. The squared rubble church consists of a 14thc chancel and N chapel, nave with a S porch and a 16thc W tower. The only feature described here is the font
Before the Conquest, Badgworth was held by 2 thegns as 2 manors, and paid geld for 2 hides. In 1086 it was held by Fulcwine from Walter of Douai, and consisted of 1 hide and 3 virgates with 9 acres of meadow.
Centrally placed at the W end of the nave, quite well forward of the tower arch. The bowl is a simple cylinder, only refined on its underside, and rests on four clustered shafts which terminate in nicely moulded bases. There is no plinth, the font resting directly on the stone floor.
The bases imitate two cones, the lower and larger being inserted into the upper and smaller. There is no necking between base and stem, the latter consisting of two very unequal blocks. The interesting underside of the bowl is recessed and divided from the curved bottom of the bowl by a delicate roll. The top of the bowl shows repairs at NNW and SSE some of which may be evidence of ripped-out lock-fittings. Metal stubs and holes may also be seen. The lead covers almost the whole of the rim except where it appears to have been torn away.
|Circumference of bowl||2.3m|
|Circumference of stem||1.06m|
|Depth of bowl||0.32 m|
|Ext. diameter of bowl||0.72m|
|height of base||0.21m|
|height of bowl||0.38m|
|height of stem||0.43m|
|Int. diameter of bowl||0.55 m|
|Overall height of font||1.06m|
Somerset County Council, Historic Environment Record 13098.
EH, English Heritage Listed Building 268751.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, Harmondsworth 1958, 80.