The walls of two churches remain within a subrectagular enclosure, possibly of early or medieval date (Harbison, Guide, p.59). The smaller church has deep antae and a lintelled doorway; inside is a slab which tradition holds indicates the grave of the founding saint. The larger and later church had a nave and chancel, but is without any features, and the walls only remain to a height of c.0.60 m.
The monastery can probably be identified as Tulach-min-Molaga, founded by St Molagga, of Timoleague and Lann Beachaire, in the 7thc. (Gwynn & Hadcock). Its current name, literally, 'Molaga's bed', probably refers to the saint's final resting place or grave here.
There is a faintly incised carving of crosier on this slab. The spiral or continental style of the crosier suggests at earliest a 12th c date. The stone itself is likely to be older and to date to the construction of the chapel itself, c.1000.
H. Crawford, 'Finial Stones', Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, 6th series, Vol.4, 1914, pp. 171-2.
A. Gwynn and R. N. Hadcock, Medieval Religious Houses: Ireland, London 1970, 396, 408.
P. Harbison, Guide to National and Historical Monuments of Ireland, Dublin 1970 (1992), 82.
Lord Killanin and M. V. Duignan, The Shell Guide to Ireland, Dublin 1962 (1967), 376.
T. Ó Carragáin, Churches in early medieval Ireland: architecture, ritual and memory, London 2010.
T. Ó Carragáin, 'The Architectural Setting of the Cult of Relics in Early Medieval Ireland', Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland Vol.133, 2003, pp. 130-76.
T. O'Keeffe, 'Architectural Traditions of the Early Medieval Church in Munster', in M. A. Monk and J. Sheehan, eds, Early Medieval Munster: Archaeology, History and Society, Cork, 1998, pp. 112-24.