Round tower (20 m high) with round-headed doorway on E side. A plain round-headed window is set high up on the S side of the tower, a gabled window half-way up on the W side, and a flat-topped window high up on the N side. The tower is built of grey limestone (?). To the S of the tower is a small rectangular church, ruined, with some late Gothic details.
Foundation attributed to St Oengus the Culdee (d.815). Monastery first mentioned in 1083. Used as a parish church until at least 1418.
Round-headed, of one order, of reddish sandstone. The stonework is very weathered, but traces of an angle roll flanked by fillets are visible. This appears to have been continuous around arch and jambs. A shallow hollow, containing pellets is visible on the face of the jambs and the lower parts of the arch. The three uppermost voussoirs appear to be repairs and are plain and unchamfered. On the reveal are remains of iron hangings for a door. The doorway is 4.6 m. above ground level.
|d. through wall||1.30 m|
|h. to top of arch||1.75 m|
|h. to top of jambs||1.50 m|
|w. at base, externally||0.86 m|
|w. at base, internally||0.82 m|
|w. at springing||0.79 m|
Flat-headed, probably repaired.
George Lennox Barrow, The Round Towers of Ireland: A Study and a Gazeteer, Dublin, 1979, 141-3.
Richard Rolt Brash, The round tower and church of Dysert, County of Limerick, Dublin 1868, 54-61.
A. Gwynn and R.N. Hadcock, Medieval religious houses : Ireland, London 1970, 383.
Peter Harbison, Guide to national and historic monuments of Ireland, Dublin 1992, 218.
T.J. Westropp, 'A Survey of the Ancient Churches in the County of Limerick', Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, 25, 1904, 385.