Taddington is situated high on a limestone plateau of Derbyshire's Peak District, along the former route of the A6, which now bypasses the village to the north. The church tower and spire date to the 14thc and the body of the church is 14th to early 15thc with late 15thc re-windowing. The whole church was restored in 1891.
The only Norman feature is a cross shaft and socket stone in the churchyard, described in Historic England's List Entry (1009051) as of 'probable 11thc' date.
In 1086 Taddington was a berewick of Ashford in the Water, which was held by the king.
The shaft and socket stone stand in the churchyard to the S of the church building. The cross head does not survive. Both socket stone and shaft are of sandstone; the former is undecorated but the shaft has carving on all four sides. The shaft is roughly square, with chamfered angles, and tapers towards the top. Its S side is decorated with chevrons. On the W side is a foliage pattern at the top. The N side has saltire crosses, the E side a saltire cross and a chevron pattern.
|Height of shaft||1.82m|
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications: or, England’s Patron Saints, Volume 3, London 1899, 275.
J. Charles Cox, Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, vol. 2, Chesterfield and London 1877.
N. Pevsner, revised E. Williamson, The Buildings of England, Derbyshire, Harmondsworth 1978, 2nd ed. revised 1986, 338.