Taking the S doorway as a reference, the nave with its three-bay N and S aisles was likely built in the 13th c. The chancel is probably late 13th c. and was rebuilt in 1839. The late 14th/ early 15th c. W tower was rebuilt by C. H. Fowler in 1901-1902. The clerestorey is of the 14/15th c. The church was restored in 1892 by Ewan Christian. The Romanesque features are the two fonts.
Though Barnoldby le Beck is mentioned in the Domesday Book there is no reference to a church here in 1086.
Located in the SE corner of the S aisle, the plain drum font is a creamy, tan coloured limestone. The rectangular plinth, on which the font rests, is separate from the font and post-medieval. The drum of the font is unadorned but there is roll moulding on the lip. The surface condition is very rough. Running halfway around the center of the drum is a horizontal groove where stone has been cut away. There is no lead lining inside the drum.
|exterior diameter:||0.63 m.|
|height of bowl:||0.51 m.|
|interior diameter:||0.48 m.|
Located toward the W end of the N aisle, the drum font with intersecting arcades is a creamy, tan coloured limestone. The cylindrical base is not original to the font. The bottom edge of the font drum is chamfered. The columns are cut flat and rest on rectangular plinths. The capitals are not defined by any details, only an increasing tapered width from the columns below them. Round arches springing from the capitals intersect and, unlike the flat treatment of the columns, are given a rounded profile. The lip is chamfered. Lead lining in bowl is shaped into cusps on the lip. There is a central drain. There are two inserted repairs on the top portion of the font, one on the N side and one on the S side. This is a very lop-sided drum shape as the E side of it has a pronounced outward inclination from bottom to top.
|exterior diameter:||0.81 m.|
|height of bowl:||0.555 m.|
|interior diameter:||0.605 m.|
F. Bond, Fonts and Font Covers, London: Oxford University Press, 1908, 91, 95-97.
M. J. Critchlow, “St. Helen’s Church, Barnoldby le Beck”, church guide, n.p., 1994.
N. Pevsner and J. Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire. London: Penguin, 1989 (1990), 118.
D. Stocker, “Fons et Origo: The Symbolic Death, Burial, and Resurrection of English Font Stones”, in Church Archaeology, vol. 1, (1997), 17-25.