The church is of limestone rubble, partly rendered with ashlar dressings. The present nave, S and N doorways, and the chancel responds date from the 12thc. The chancel was rebuilt in the early 13thc and lengthened in the 14thc, when the transept, porch and tower were added. It is now cared for by The Churches Conservation Trust.
In Domesday Book Eastleach Martin is called 'Lece'. The church was granted c.1120 to Great Malvern priory, by Richard, son of Pons, who came to England with William the Conqueror. It was dedicated by the Bishop of Worcester to Saints Michael and Martin soon after Gloucester Abbey acquired the manor in 1144.
In situ, blocked. Round-headed, plain jambs and arch.
In situ; pavement raised, therefore no plinths or bases are seen. Two orders, round headed but segmental arch.
|Height incl necking, capitals||0.23 m|
|Width of E face, L capital||0.18 m|
|Width of S face||0.174 m|
|Width of W face, R capital||0.18 m|
Detached nook-shafts, plain roll necking, cushion capitals L and R. Impost with plain upright face, and below a hollow chamfer with a crude single roll billet much damaged. Arch has an angle roll. Label has a single chamfer.
Situated on the S nave wall centred above the S door, cut into one stone, now broken. One-half of a beaded band forms the circular form enclosing the two remaining arms of a Maltese cross. The top R portion is cut away and a deep horizontal rectangular lacuna in the lower edge was probably made to hold a porch roof beam. The rectangular hole lines up with a corbel in the interior gable of the S porch.
|Diameter of complete circle||0.25 m|
|Height incl necking of L capital||0.255 m|
|Height incl necking of R capital||0.24 m|
|Height of impost above raised floor||2.11 m|
|Height of L capital||0.225 m|
|Height of R capital||0.20 m|
|Width of N face, L capital||0.177 m|
|Width of S face, L capital||0.175 m|
|Width of W face, L capital||0.185 m|
|Width of W face, R capital||0.182 m|
Detached nook-shaft (missing on S side), plain roll necking, cushion capital. Impost is as the first order; it continues along E nave wall for 0.46m. Impost on S side bears remnants of painted red diagonal lines.
Anon, The Church of St. Michael and St. Martin (Guidebook), 1996.
Sir Robert Atkyns the Younger. The Ancient and Present State of Glostershire, London 1712, 422-23.
A. C. Fryer, 'Gloucestershire Fonts, Part 6', Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 37 (1914), 107-33.
Historic Englnad Listing ID 1156545
Samuel Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire, Cirencester 1779, 432.
M. Salter, The Old Parish Churches of Gloucestershire Malvern 2008 66-67
D. Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, Harmondsworth 1970, 221-222.
D. Verey and A. Brooks, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire I: the Cotswolds (3rd edition) London1999 348-349
Victoria County History: A History of the County of Gloucester, Vol.7, Oxford 1981, 55-61.
W.H.T. Wright, Some Notes on the Parishes and Churches of Eastleach Martin, Eastleach Turville and Southrop Private Press 1923
W.H.T. Wright, 'Notes on Eastleach Martin and Eastleach Turville', Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 22 (1899) 115-120