Albrighton is a large village in the far N of the county, 7 miles NW of the centre of Wolverhampton, for which city it serves as a dormitory. The church of St Mary Magdalene stands on the N side of the village centre. It has a chancel, an aisled nave with a W tower, a porch, organ chamber, vestry and boiler house. Of these the chancel is 14thc, the lower 3 stages of the 4-stage tower are 12thc and the top stage and parapet 13thc and 15thc respectively, and most of the remainder dates from 1853, although the boiler room is 20thc. Construction is largely of red sandstone ashlar (yellow to N aisle) with some tile. Romanesque features recorded here are the windows of the tower.
Albrighton was held as 2 manors by Algar and Godgyth in 1066, and as a single manor by Norman from Earl Roger de Montgomery in 1086. It was then assessed at 1½ hides with woodland for 100 pigs. It was noted in the Domesday Survey as waste and in the king’s hands. A certain Nicholas, priest of Albrighton, is mentioned in 1186-7 (Eyton). The manor later came into the hands of the de Picheford family, Henry III granting a fair and a market to Ralph de Picheford in 1232. Both were confirmed in 1303 to John la Warre, lord of the manor by that date.
Round-headed, 2 orders.
As N window.
R. W. Eyton, Antiquities of Shropshire, 12 vols, London 1854-60, vol. 2, 149-66
Historic England Listed Building 255122
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 56.