Eaton Constantine is a village on the N side of the Severn, midway between Shrewsbury and Telford. The church, in the centre of the village, is a simple building of chancel and nave with W bellcote and S porch, all built in 1841 in an Early English style. The only Romanesque feature is the font.
Easton (Etune) is mentioned in the Domesday Survey where it formed part of the domains of Roger, Earl of Montgomery. In the 12thc the village passed to the family of Costentine (or Constantine). In the 12thc, the church at Eaton Constantine was the chapel-of-ease to Leighton. Later it became a separate parish with its own rector. An incomplete list of rectors and chaplains goes back to 1225. The church was built in 1847-8 to replace smaller medieval building. (Information provided by explanatory panel in church.)
At the W end of the nave is a foont with a cup-shaped bowl with a band of scalloped, furling leaves in the lower third of the bowl, otherwise plain. It stands on a cylindrical stem banded with a triple roll, and a low roll base on a square plinth. There is no step.
|Circumference at bottom||1.46m|
|Circumference at rim||2.34m|
|External diameter of bowl at rim||0.73m|
|Internal diameter of bowl at rim||0.525m|
|Height of bowl||0.39m|
R. W. Eyton, Antiquities of Shropshire, 12 vols, London 1854-60, 8, 1-7.
Historic England Listed Building 258862
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 124.