The church consists of a chancel, nave, N aisle, W tower and S porch. The chancel and the N aisle are 14thc. The W tower and the walls of the nave are post-Conquest and appear to date from about 1080. The round-headed tower arch is chamfered, with chamfered imposts, but otherwise plain. On each face of the tower are double round-headed (arcuated lintels) openings with a central shaft between them (the shafts appear to be modern) which have a chamfered impost in place of a capital. The double windows are set within round-headed, chamfered openings. Romanesque sculpture is found on the S doorway and the font.
Round-headed of two orders in the jambs and three orders in the arch.
|w. of opening||1.25 m|
Simple, weathered inverted cushion or inverted block bases below engaged double shafts. These support the carved capitals and their extensions on the face of the doorway. The capitals have no necking.
W capital: this has traces of cones and a shield suggesting a scalloped form. The upper angle has broken off, but the N shield of the E face survives, decorated with a foliage scroll. To the W of the capital, and on the same block, is a passage of incised lozenge ornament, and inside this an irregular interlace pattern.
Chamfered imposts, considerably worn and broken.
Plain pilasters, without bases, support the chamfered label.
The entire ensemble is very worn.
A plain, circular, sandstone tub-shaped font cemented to a round plinth. Portions of the rim have been repaired, notably on the SE side. The plinth also has some modern repairs. There are traces of paint or plaster on the exterior walls of the font bowl and heavy tooling marks are aslo visible across the outer surface. The bowl is lead-lined.
|Height of plinth, lower step||0.10m|
|Height of plinth, upper step||0.16m|
|h. without plinth||0.56m|