St Laserian is one of Ireland’s smallest cathedrals. It comprises a 12thc. nave and chancel, a late 15thc. central tower and a 16thc. N chapel to the chancel. The chancel was rebuilt in the 16thc. A plain 11thc. font is located in the chancel, under the E arch of the tower on the N side.
A monastery existed on this site from the early 7thc, founded by St Gobban. A Synod was held here in 630 which decided in favour of the Roman system for calculating the date for the celebration of Easter. The original monastic buildings were destroyed by fire c.1060. The present church was begun by Bishop Donatus (1152-81).
The font has a square bowl with a circular basin, resting on a central column and four corner colonnettes. The top edges and corners of the basin are slightly chamfered.The central column and angle colonnettes fit neatly into sockets in the plain square base.
Of plain dark marble, roughly cut (with an adze).
|height of base||0.70 m|
|height of basin||0.48 m|
|height of stem||0.35 m|
|width of base||0.67 m x 0.69 m|
|width of basin||0.65 m x 0.64 m|
J. Pike, Medieval Fonts of Ireland, Greystones, 1979, 26.