All Saints, Castleford, Yorkshire, West Riding

Feature Sets (1)

Description

The site of the church is close to the Roman fort and aligned with it (Ryder 1993, 10 with air photo and fig. nos.13,14). Pevsner, (1959, 158) says ‘Castleford is presumed to be the Legiolium of the Romans.’

The church as it existed in 1818 was drawn by John Buckler and is illustrated in Butler (2007, 139). This church had been remodelled in the 15thc., and reputedly contained a 'Norman' arch, but Glynne's notes do not describe anything recognisably Norman or Romanesque, and all arches mentioned by him, to crossing and arcades, are pointed. The church was 'heavily restored and virtually replaced in 1866-8' (Butler, 139, n.1). There is nothing of our period at the site now, but its ‘much-scraped font, probably 12th century’ (Ryder 1993) is in the 20thc. church at Glasshoughton. Houghton Glass (as named by Lawton 1842, 118) was a subsidiary community to Castleford.

 

Features

Comments/Opinions

Bibliography

  • L. A. S. Butler, ed., The Yorkshire Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne (1825-1874), Y. A. Soc. Record series 159, Woodbridge 2007.

  • N. Pevsner, Yorkshire: West Riding. The Buildings of England,¬†Harmondsworth, 1959. ¬†2nd. ed. revised E. Radcliffe. 1967.

  • P. F. Ryder, Medieval Churches of West Yorkshire,¬†West Yorkshire Archaeology Service, Wakefield, 1993.

Location

Site Location
Castleford
National Grid Reference
SE 425 258 
Boundaries
now: West Yorkshire
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Yorkshire, West Riding
Diocese
now: West Yorkshire and the Dales
formerly: Wakefield
medieval: York
Dedication
now: All Saints
medieval:
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Rita Wood 
Visit Date
No visit made