A small oratory, 23'7" x 15'7" (7.18 m x 4.75 m) (Westropp); ruined and ivy-covered, but with walls and gables standing to full height. The W doorway is damaged but enough of the bases and inside L jamb survive to indicate an arched opening. There are no carved or moulded stones on the jambs or arch apart from some ashlar springers on the interior R. Of rubble masonry apart from the ashlar E window.
Founded by Caritan, a friend of St Senan, c.550, and called 'Kilcharitain' in the Life of St Senan (Westropp).
A plain, round-headed window with a wide interior splay of well-cut ashlar. Plain imposts. The exterior is overgrown, but no decoration or mouldings are evident on sill and lower jambs. The upper part of the exterior was hidden by ivy at the time of recording.
T. J. Westropp, 'The Churches of County Clare, and the origin of the ecclesiastical divisions in that county', Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, 22 (1900), 167, no.168.