St Mary's has a clerestoreyed nave with three-bay N and S aisles, but extended to the W alongside the W tower; N and S transepts and a square chancel. The original unaisled church is represented by the spectacular early 12thc. chancel arch. Aisles (with arcades and N and S doorways) and transepts were added in the 13thc., as was the attractive N porch. The chancel was rebuilt late in the 13thc. The W nave extension and the tower belong to the 16thc. Pevsner suggests that the 13thc design for the W end involved a bellcote rather than a tower. Construction is of roughly coursed stone blocks. The church was restored in 1897 and 1901.
The church and a priest are mentioned in the Domesday Survey, and at this time the manor of 5 hides was held by the Abbot of Thorney.
Now benefice of Stilton (St Mary Magdalene) with Denton and Caldecote, and Folksworth with Morborne and Haddon.
Round headed, two orders to W, one to E.
1st order (shared). On half-columns with roll/hollow bases. On the N is a block capital with broad stems of interlacing reeded foliage rising from a plain roll necking. The S capital is similar but the stems have reeded borders only. Both capitals have major losses; on the N, the SW angle and a slot cut from the centre of the main face; on the S, most of the E part is missing. Imposts are chamfered with a reed on the face. In the arch is a fat soffit roll.
2nd order (W face only). En-delit nook shafts with bases, imposts and neckings as in the 1st order. The N capital is a double-scallop with chip-carved stars in the shields. The S is a completely plain cushion. Running up each jambs, outside the nook-shaft, is a row of chip-carved saltires. In the arch is a heavy nook roll. The label is chamfered with saltires in squares chip-carved on face and chamfer. Outside the label is a hollow.