St Mary, Neen Savage, Shropshire

Feature Sets (3)

Description

Neen Savage is a village in the SE of the county, 10 mile W of Kidderminster and a mile N of Cleobury Mortimer. It consists of a small settlement alongside a ford of the River Rea. The church, on the E bank of the river, consists of a nave, chancel and W tower, all 12thc in origin. Romanesque features are found in the tower arch, the blocked N nave doorway, and a S chancel doorway heavily restored in 1882.  

History

The Domesday Survey records 2 holdings in Neen Savage. The first was held by Wulfric in 1066, and by Richard from Ralph de Mortimer in 1086. It paid geld for 1½ hides. The second was held by Hunning in 1066 and by Ingelrann from Ralph de Mortimer in 1086. This was valued at 4 hides and had a mill. In 1179 Hugh de Mortimer gave the church to Wigmore Abbey, to which it belonged until the Dissolution. 

Features

Exterior Features

Doorways

N doorway

A blocked, round-headed doorway of a single order. The jambs and arch are chamfered and there are worn and damaged chamfered imposts but no capitals.

Dimensions
Height of opening 2.24 m
Width of opening 1.09 m

S chancel doorway

Round headed, single order with plain, square jambs and arch, and worn hollow-chamfered imposts with a deep roll towards the bottom of the face. To this late-12thc doorway has been added a 19thc quirked hollow chamfered label with tangential trumpet-shaped flowers in the chamfer. This has a pair of human head label stops.

Dimensions
Height of opening 2.13 m
Width of opening 0.92 m

Interior Features

Arches

Tower/Transept arches

Tower arch

Round-headed. One order. Plain, square jambs. Chamfered imposts. Plain, square arch voussoirs. Chamfered label, one groove running lengthwise across the arch. Label rests upon the imposts. Much renewed.

Comments/Opinions

The interlocking lily motif resembles that on the labels at St Mary, Shrewsbury, Little Ness and Halford.

Bibliography

  • P. Byran, 'St. Mary's C. of E., Neen Savage', booklet (Angel Bank, 1998). 

  • D. H. S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, 10 vols, 1894-1912, vol. I, pt. 4, 340-2. 

  • R. W. Eyton, Antiquities of Shropshire, 12 vols, London 1854-60, vol. IV, 232-36. 

  • N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 215-6. 

Location

Site Location
Neen Savage
National Grid Reference
SO 674 774 
Boundaries
now: Shropshire
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Shropshire
Diocese
medieval: Hereford
now: Hereford
Dedication
now: St Mary
medieval: St Mary (pre-Reformation)
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Barbara Zeitler, Ron Baxter 
Visit Date
30 Jul 2000 (BZ), 09 May 2017 (RB)