The church is of c.1500, possibly incorporating the nave and chancel of an earlier church. The chancel E wall is of random red sandstone rubble and may be part of the earlier fabric; the rest of the building is of coursed red sandstone rubble. The church has N and S aisles, a S porch, an outer S aisle added as an Edgcumbe family chapel, and a W tower. There is a 12thc font, which was brought from St Merryn.
In 1086, Reginald held Maker from the count of Mortain.
The Norman font, which was brought here from St Merryn, is of Bodmin type. It is large, of high quality, with five supports, corner busts, and wild, disorderly snake convolutions (Pevsner (1951), 112) in between.
Historic England List Entry 1140716
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Cornwall, Harmondsworth 1951, 112.