Manningford Bruce is a hamlet part of the civil parish of Manningford about 8 miles NE of Marlborough. The church lies to the S of the hamlet. This is a very complete, probably early Norman church with an aisleless nave and chancel with an apse, built of coursed flint with ashlar dressings. Although some windows have been added in the 15thc, there are three early windows, as well the S door and the blocked N door. All are treated with simple, round-headed arches. The S porch was built in 1882. The only Romanesque carving consists of the imposts of the chancel arch.
The Domesday Book records that 'Maniford' belonged to Winchester Abbey. In 1066 the manor was held by Edward and Godric; Grimbald the Goldsmith and Amalric of Dreux were tenants in 1086 and the manor was worth £6. The ownership passed to the FitzPeter family in 1210. William de Breuse acquired the manor in 1275, and the vill was named after him. The church of St Peter was consecrated by 1291 and this represents the first mention of the building.
DCMS Listing Description.
Victoria County History: Wiltshire, vol. X, 113-9, especially 116-8.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 330.