The chancel arch probably dates from the early 13thc. but the chancel may have been rebuilt or at least refenestrated in the 15thc. The nave and the tower date from the 14th or 15thc. The church was restored in 1903. The only Romanesque carving is the strange, recut font, decorated with plain, rectangular panels.
Vitel, thought to be a well-to-do thegn, held Fittleton in 1066. Robert son of Gerald held it in 1086 and was succeeded by his nephew William de Roumare (created earl of Lincoln c. 1141). The church is not mentioned until the Taxatio of 1291, where it is valued at £10.
The chancel arch has chamfered jambs and a chamfered arch suggesting a date of the first half of the 13thc. The impost (0.16m high) with a simple chamfer and a fillet along it, suggests that the arch could date from early in the 13thc.
|Circumference of bowl||2.59 m|
|Height of bowl||0.51 m|
The font bowl is a cylinder with a circumference of 2.59m and 0.51m high. It is decorated with eight plain, regular, rectangular panels, apparently the product of modern recutting. The shaft and base probably date from the 1903 restoration.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 245-45.
A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 11, Downton Hundred; Elstub and Everleigh Hundred, Victoria County History, London 1980, 142-151.